Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Very Well Indeed

Nerd Do Well: A Small Boy's Journey to Becoming a Big Kid - Simon Pegg

A very humorous account of Simon Pegg's rise from geek on the sidelines to geeky headliner. I fully enjoyed his take on memoir, which was a bit self-deprecating, a bit reluctant hero and all around fun. He goes into his life, revealing how his childhood interests, fandoms and friendships shaped his worldview and lead him to his life of geek glory.

As I listened I couldn't help but jot down a few choice titles, movies I wanted to take a look at and other things just to round out my transformation into all out geek. I don't really believe in titles like geek, but I suppose it's hard to ignore when one suddenly realizes that they've been reading succession two books that have a Hadron Collider as a major plot point, dream about zombies and video games and recently ordered another memoir from the library written by Wil Wheaton.

Listening to the audio version, which is read by Pegg himself, was a joy, his skill as a voice actor is one that he hasn't used fully (with the exception of his work on Tintin and World War Z audiobook), but one I hope he embarks on more in the future.

Also, I was really impressed by his candid accounts of his love for his friends, both men and women, which is very refreshing coming from a 'geek' since geek culture is often rife with homophobia and fear of true emotion, so I'd recommend this to anyone, especially fans of Pegg, who no doubt will love the interludes Pegg includes from his secret double life involving a robot butler, sexy french thief, and evil arch nemesis.