Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Indies, Spiders and Manga Oh My!

Silk Vol. 1: Sinister - Robbie Thompson, Stacey Covington-Lee Kramers Ergot 9 - Kim Deitch, Renee French, Kevin Huizenga, Michael DeForge, Sammy Harkham Nichijou, 2 - Keiichi Arawi

Though I’m not a usual superhero comic reader, Silk wasn’t hard to get into, the characters, fights, loyalties and backstory were interesting and didn’t require that I knew exactly where Silk had been for 10 years or what her relationship to S.H.I.E.L.D. was or is, to get into the story.

It passed the Bechdel test too, so that's nice.  Should note that there are quite a few women in the comic, on both sides as well as just friends of Silk's mild mannered reporter cover as well.

I'd recommend this, maybe not quite as fun as the new Ms. Marvel series, but it's pretty good.

Kramers Ergot #9

Including comics and excerpts by Gabrielle Bell (windows), Michael DeForge, and Matthew Thurber, among many others (most who’d I’d never heard of before). Ranging the gambit in both terms of style and subject this collection was a great taste of the ever changing and growing world of comics.  Highly recommended, a great way to experience a lot of different comics/styles in one book.

My Ordinary Life Volume 2 (Nichijou 2)

A young robot girl with a large wind-up key sticking out from her back attempts to share an ordinary life with her school friends.  My ordinary life is more a goal of this bizarro world take on the slice of life genre.  Translators did a good job with the puns or what I think Americans would call "Dad jokes."