Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Awkwaaard

Love at Fourteen, Vol. 5 - Fuka Mizutani

Love at Fourteen continues to be a very odd duck.  For the most part it's the sweetest of the sweet, tame, love story between Kanata and Kazuki two 'mature' middle school students.  They're hiding their relationship from their classmates, and always in danger of having it revealed by nosy classmates, mix-ups and other funny situations.

Each volume gives the readers little updates on some of the other characters love lives as well, but of the other relationships only one isn't creepy to me.

First we have Aoi, who also has a crush on Kazuki.  She tries to trick Kanata into revealing that he's not good at math and thereby embarrass him in front of Kazuki and their classmates, but of course, it all backfires and she ends up feeling indebted to Kanata's good natured kindness instead.  I like Aoi and feel bad for her that she keeps pursuing someone who so obviously is not going to return her feelings.

In fact Kanata and Kazuki are so nice and so good, it actually makes the story just slightly boring and a whole bag of sappy.

The kid who names his videogame character OL (office lady) after the random woman he stalks on the bus is at least keeping his distance.  It's a little weird, but not uncommon.

Then we have Nagai and the music teacher.  She is a really creepy lady and should probably be fired from her job.

And in this volume, yet another slightly off relationship is revealed, the class rep is in love with the science teacher.  Spoiler: In the end she returns to the school as a fellow teacher and confesses her love.  (I guess it's good she waited until she was an adult, but still it's a bit off that the author keeps adding relationships between children and adults and making it seem like an okay thing, because it's not okay.)  It's not OK!