Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Feeling Healthy

First Year Healthy - Michael DeForge

A large cat.

DeForge is one of my favorite artists and storytellers and this short story involving a woman, baby and holy cat was an absurd and compelling tale told in bold colors and lumpy bodies.

The book follows a woman as she is released from the hospital and moves in with a man, who seems to have a criminal past, not to mention a son with his former landlady, who dies, leaving the baby to this new couple.  However, soon after he disappears and then one of his former associates holds the woman and baby hostage at a food laden Christmas table.  When he falls asleep the woman slits his neck.  The baby is taken by the holy cat.

The story reminded me a bit of the movie adaptation of Trainspotting, the scene where the kids are too high to realize that their baby is dying.  We as readers can only guess at the perspective of the character, is there a holy cat, who was killed, what is real? The wolf?  It's yet another interesting story to ponder by DeForge.  Love the title.