Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Melancholy and Insightful

Tim Ginger - Julian Hanshaw

Tim Ginger was a test pilot once and was married once, but now he lives alone in a trailer park.

When a book he wrote about his experience as a test pilot gets him invited to a conspiracy theorist convention and one fan of his book gets upset that he's not revealing all he knows about supposed government cover ups and UFOs in his next book, which he plans to write about Cricket (the sport) things get more complicated for him.

He also meets up with an old friend who is writing a graphic novel about being childless by choice, who wants to interview him, a formerly married man who decided not to have children.

It's a bit slow, but is very thoughtful in it's examination of Tim Ginger's life, his concentration on the past and societal expectations.  It's funny how so many people view the choice not to have children as a selfish and lazy one, when people choose not to have children for many different reasons, including health and never because they're just too lazy.  Those view points were well expressed and examined here.

I loved the art, which added to the subtle moody tone of the whole thing, the world around Tim Ginger seems muted, he's still rooted in the past and not looking at the present world as if he's part of it.

I'd recommend this, it's a unique story, for those who like slightly quirky slice of life comics.