Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Bad Machinery Grows Up

Giant Days #1 - John Allison, Lisa Treiman Bad Machinery Volume 4: The Case of the Lonely One (Bad Machinery Gn) by John Allison (2015-10-23) - John Allison;

As I read this I kept thinking to myself, this reminds me so much of Bad Machinery, the art, the humor...oh wait.  It's by the same person.

That said, if you like Bad Machinery, then pick up this series because it's basically a college aged version of the same.

Allision's brand of humor, for me at least, doesn't get old.  He sets us up with another loveable bunch of weirdos and their odd life dillemmas.  It's a bit more realistic (so far) than Bad Machinery, which often featured odd creatures and mystical goings on.

Each character has their own charm, but I have to admit Susan Ptolemy is my favorite.

I also read Bad Machinery: The Case of the Lonely One and it continues to actually make me crack a smile and laugh audibly as I read it, which has become ever more rare in my reading habits.

Unlike many comics, the characters here change and evolve through each volume, as they "grow up."  I love the messages here, where one character wonders what the difference one year between being twelve and turning thirteen, makes.  How does one become a teenager and stop being a kid?

Good stuff either way.  These series are a bit zany, but coming-of-age comics at their heart, and just chock full of characters and plots that make compelling and engaging stories.