Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Probably Not

Sh*t Girls Say - Kyle Humphrey, Graydon Sheppard

I'm not the intended audience for this I think.  I hated it.  I didn't understand it.  I am confused by it.

A dude dressed in drag poses by cute objects spelling out "shit girls say."  Like, "What are you doing this weekend."  And "Do I look like a doily?"  And of course, "I hate the word Moist."

I feel insulted.  I also feel like asking where is the book by a girl dressed in a jean vest with aviator sunglasses and a mullet with a glued on mustache posing with camo nets and deer targets spelling out 'crap dudes mutter.'  "Yeah?"  "Grunt Noise."  "Burp."  "Ain't got no beer in there."  "Sheeeeet."

Oh, sorry is that insulting?  Well, don't worry, there is no such book, because for some reason it is acceptable to judge and shame women for what they say and how they say it, but somehow it's not okay to make the same judgments about men.  Just like the whole "vocal fry" thing.  Both woman and men can have vocal fry, yet who gets the most flack for it?  Women.  As if vocal fry somehow affects the value of the words being said.

We all know that people are more complex than a few stupid questions can indicate.  We all know that eventually someone's gonna ask, "What are you doing this weekend."  Or say something close to "Did you miss me."  It's not a gender thing.  Maybe I'm just judgmental and can't take a joke, but this really was not funny to me at all.

I hate that this book seems to be more than poking fun at girls, but belittling them, putting girls into a box where all that they say can be summed up in a short book and dismissed, by two men.  No.  Just no.