Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

My Soul is a Lumpy Rock?

Livingstone 1 - Tomohiro Maekawa, Jinsei Kataoka

This series reminds me a lot of manga like Descendants of Darkness, where we are introduced to two partners, one plays the more serious, care-taker role, while the other is the weird, anti-social genius type.  Like Sherlock Holmes and Watson.

So here we have these two characters whose job it is to clean up areas of psychic residue that affect those living near them.  The first case involves a man living in an apartment where a young child was murdered.  The malaise causes the young man to decide to commit suicide.

While our serious care-taker tries to lighten the man's heart and convince him to live, his partner cleans up the residue and waits to claim the man's soul.

They continue through the story encountering various people who through their own doings or by the influence of the remnants of tragic events are about to die before their time.

The world of the story also involves the discovery of the 'soul' which was made through the unethical experiments of an American doctor.  (Any time evil is called for in manga it's an American who perpetrates it...which I suppose makes a lot of sense, but gets a bit old.)

I enjoyed the interaction between the two main characters and found the stories, especially involving such an old trope, pretty original and well done.

Pretty good, worth a library check out for those who enjoy Mushishi, Descendants of Darkness, or Library Wars.