Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Another Graphic Memoir

Snapshots of a Girl - Beldan Sezen

Seems like there are more and more of these coming out all the time.  Diary comics or comic memoirs.  This one reminded me somewhat of Fun House, because of the focus on reconciling one's sexual identity and family identity, especially with a mother.

Beldan Sezen's story starts out with her long road to accepting her sexuality, going through a total of 5 fairly long term relationships with men before she was able to finally stop trying to fit herself into a gender normative role and join the LGBT community, where she became a 'baby dyke.'  After joining the community she's able to strengthen her identity - or at least come to accept herself as she is more.  Then after many attempts to re-connect with her mother she and her girlfriend spend a holiday at her family home and her mother offers her girlfriend a gift, showing that she accepts her into their family.

It was pretty touching end to the comic.  It was also interesting to see this all from the perspective of someone living outside the U.S.  Beldan's family is a traditional Turkish family living in Germany.

I also really like the variety of styles in the comic, some of it ink drawing, sometimes more cartoonish illustrations, other times highly detailed portraits.  Some of the pages had a quality that reminded me, oddly enough, of the faxed letters I received at summer camp, with my brothers illustrations of Magic Cards on them.  hahaha.

As a personal note, I've never understood the concept of the 'baby dyke.'  I mean, I understand how it would be comforting to be taken under the wing of someone more experienced, but in a way I don't feel like it's right to label someone a novice in their own identity.  Especially since it often seems like a 'baby dyke' is to unlearn one group of stereotypes (the gender normative), wholly rejecting them in favor of another set of stereotypes.  Doesn't seem like a good thing to trade one set of box labels for another in my mind.  Why are there 'baby dykes,' but not 'baby hets,' or I don't know...can't think of other terms.  One definition of a 'baby dyke' just says it's a lesbian under the age of 25...what does age have to do with anything?  So, once you turn 26...you are a 'real' lesbian?

Sorry, just my personal rant.