Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Sometimes I Wonder...

Beef With Tomato - Dean Haspiel, Jonathan Ames, Eric Skillman

How it is that some people seem to encounter such interesting stories in their lives?  Is it just luck/misfortune (depending upon how you look at it) or is it something in us that attracts bizarre situations?

Dean Haspiel has his share of weird run-ins, friendships and strange occurrences and then some.  Whether he returns to unlock his bike to find the storage room turned into a makeshift cat hospital or being doored by a complete asshole.  Later he gets hit by a car while helping a friend with a movie project and in fact most of the stories feature Dean covered in bandages.

At the end of the comic there are a few pages of essays accompanied sometimes by comics, which are also very well written and interesting.  It's a pretty introspective work and I really liked how unafraid Haspiel was in reveal his inner life, pretty or not.

The art is all hard edged ink work, which works really well for all the action taking place, whether it be Haspiel flipping over a car door or walking through a snow covered city.

With an introduction by Johnathan Ames, the stories here follow on to be tales of drunken visions, connections made in just a small glance or dealing with pricks.  If you like Bored to Death (television show I'd recommend) you'd like this collection of vignettes.