Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Really Really Good

Descender Volume 1: Tin Stars (Descender Tp) - Jeff Lemire, Dustin Nguyen, Dustin Nguyen

Beautiful art, an interesting plot and characters I want to read about, what else could one desire for in a comic series?

Descender has it all.  I loved the way that color was used throughout the comic, sometimes vivid popping with the action on the page, sometimes soft, as with the flashbacks and memories of Tim-21 human-like robot.

Tim-21 is the perfect vessel for this story, despite his appearance, personality and memories, he is a robot.  He started his life as the companion to a young boy named Andy (a nod to Toy Story?).

The watercolors add a softness, that takes the violent story and keeps it from feeling too gritty, keeping the quality something like a fairy story, a child like quality that fits the tone of the story very well.

I also liked that from the beginning I sympathized with robotocist Dr. Quon and then by the end we are brought to question whether our sympathy is misplaced or not, we as readers are not really sure who to trust of the adults in the comic, like Tim himself.

Overall, check this out, if for the art alone, though the story is bound to draw readers in from the first arc, Search for Tim.