Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Stories near a Denny's

Killing and Dying - Adrian Tomine

I doubt that Adrian Tomine sketched these stories out in a Denny's, but I'd like to believe that his heart, at least, was near a Denny's.

These stories are about people whose lives interrupt their dreams.  Unrealized dreams of artistic expression, love, family, success.  It's a bit depressing at times.

But, there is a beautiful truth to that depression and desperation.  Often the stories end on a hopeful note that left me feeling maybe the characters in each story were going to turn out okay.

One of my favorites, called Intruders, was about a man sneaking into an apartment he used to live in, he'd time it so that he'd be long gone when the owner arrived back home.  I've read other stories similar to this and films, the idea of residing for a moment in someone else's home/life has always interested me.  I used to spend a lot of time, especially around the holidays, dog sitting for people.  For those who've never spent a long time alone in someone else's home...it's a bit of a bizarre experience.

While I was a welcome presence in these homes and the owners would often tell me to eat whatever I wanted, watch their films, sleep in their beds (I usually opted for the couch), I still felt like an Intruder, if I used an egg, as the character in this comic does, I'd want to replace it.  I wanted to wipe any traces of my existence out of the home before I left, but I also felt the need, like the character in that story, to make myself at home too.  To imagine that their home was mine, to invent a new life for myself which centered around this house.

Anyway, this is a great series of short comic stories, each one sure to give readers something interesting to mull over.