Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Unique Storytelling and Style

Black Rat - Cole Closser

I really really enjoyed this graphic novel/short comic collection.  The art is a mix of golden age style and dystopian nightmare.  The same with the dialogue/narrative.  I loved it.  Every panel and page was visually interesting and each twist and bizarre turn of the short stories had me enthralled.

I would highly recommend this work, even for those who are not big fans of 1930s-50s comics (which I can't say I am), it's just amazing and is a great way to take nostalgia and kill it.  :)

My favorite of the series is Bow White, which is about a girl who merely wants to bake a cake, but is disrupted by a rumbling in the Earth.  She and the Black Rat dig their way to the bottom of the mystery and doom!

I also really enjoyed the different styles Closser uses throughout the book, which helped to break the stories up and keep readers wondering what could happen next.

A really great change of pace from the often formulaic manga I've been reading lately.