Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Who is Charley Butters?

The Disappearance of Charley Butters - Zach Worton

This black and white inked graphic novel starts out with a death metal band filming a music video in a backwoods area.  While hiking in search of the next filming location, something ancient and pagan looking, they stumble upon a shack.  Inside scores and scores of journals and the same painting reproduced over and over again.

The journals belong to a man named Charley Butters and describe his descent into madness.  Returning to civilization the group pretty much forget about Butters, except for the cameraman and Travis, one of the metal group.  While Travis deals with his bandmates, one of whom is a complete ass, he also starts to wonder more and more about Butters and what caused his disappearance from the shack.  Where was he?  Was he dead?

Travis has decided that being in a death metal band really isn't his thing.  Maybe doing a documentary about Charley Butters, whose journals he's taken from the shack and obsessed over, can be his new thing?

However, despite a new haircut and relationship, Travis' troubles continue, he sucks at interviewing and manages to alienate the biggest lead in the search for Charley Butters, his ex-wife.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes, the story is interesting and weird, the art is very nice and even though some of the characters are total asses, I want to find out what happens to them.