Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Affirmative, D4VE. I read you.

D4VE #1 (OF 5) - IDW Comics

D4VE is about a robot facing the meaningless existence of being a cube jockey.  After the Robotic rebellion has reduced intelligent life in the universe to robotic life only, the robots become complacent and when a new alien invader enters the scene the robots have forgotten how to fight.

Except, that is, for once great defensebot D4ve who is pretty crappy at being a corporate drone and dreams of his glory days back in the wartime.

It's some pretty funny stuff (despite the fact that the story takes place after the robots have completely decimated humankind - so we're all dead).  I found D4ve hilarious and especially enjoyed his interactions with his teenage son, 5cotty.

In a way D4ve reminds me of a lot of millennials, trying and failing at adulting.  Reveling in thoughts about the good old days of college, which didn't prepare them for what is actually required to get a job in the 'real world.'  Dressed half in what is expected, shirt and tie, but also with a nod to the remains of youth, sneakers.

I just actually wanted to talk about the shoes.  I usually don't care about shoes, I hardly ever notice things like that (in comics or in real life), but I thought the artist here did a great job of conveying a lot through the personal styles (and shoe choices) of the characters, which was good since it was hard to convey emotion through smooth robot faceplates.

The dialog throughout the comic is spot on hilarious.  If one is a geek with a raunchy sense of humor, D4ve will be right up your street.  And even for me, I don't have a great love of fart jokes and stuff, but I still found this really funny.

For those who like series such as Chew or the Delinquents.  Humor, action, gore, poo jokes.