Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Friendship to the Max!

Lumberjanes, Vol. 1 -  Noelle Stevenson, Grace Ellis, Brooke A. Allen Lumberjanes Vol. 2 -  Noelle Stevenson

Lumberjanes is about a group of friends who share a cabin at the "Miss Qiunzella Thiskwin Penniquiqul Thistle Crumpet's Camp for Girls Hardcore Lady Types (Friendship to the Max!).

We jump right into the action, when the girls, out trying to earn the "up all night" badge encounter a pack of three eyed demonic foxes.  The foxes, once defeated, reveal a coded message.

While engaging in regular camp activities such as canoeing and nature walks, the gang keep finding themselves in bizarre situations, battling mythical creatures and solving riddles.  At the same time they discover their talents, overcome obstacles and even discover a little romance.

The second volume continues from the first as the girls search for the person responsible for all these bizarre goings on, question each other and save the world.

Both comics were fun and full of humor.  I loved the artwork.  However, they weren't very deep.  The character development is minimal and everything comes way too easily for the talented group of girls.  Each challenge that rises whether it's about the Fibonacci sequences, solving anagrams or defeating a group of Hipster Yetis, is solved by one of the members in a few pages.  I don't get the sense of rising to a challenge and actually having to work to overcome it.

I like the diversity of the characters represented, but again, there just isn't enough substance to it in my mind.  Plus, although I'm all for characters acting outside gender stereotypes, I don't see an entire Boy scout troupe that's interested solely in sewing, tea parties, knitting and scrap-booking.  It's cute, but just a bit much for me.  I'd rather have real diversity, with boys and girls who like various activities regardless of anything, rather than just flipping the roles on everyone.  Black and white is still black and white when you reverse the roles.

Personally, I probably would have hated these girls at camp.  So self-involved!