Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Lumpy Goopy Melting World

Dressing - Michael DeForge

Michael DeForge's collection of short comics meld questions of belonging, coming-of-age and doomed romance with strange elements from other worlds.

I love it.  I'm afraid of centipedes and Spotting Deer, but I read this comic through twice.  I usually read the comics I review once and then give them a second, quicker, scan as I review them.

I read Dressing through completely twice.

Favorites in this collection include "Christmas Dinner" which gives a blow by blow of the most awesome holiday ever.  It reminds me of my family holidays, only with the aggression going on out in the open rather than on the psychic plane.

I also loved, "My Sister Dropped Dead From the Heat."  Loved it.  Unlike the final story, "All of my friends, up high, in a jumbo jet" DeForge used handwriting to lay out the story on the page, like a journal, bits scratched out here the letters sometimes straying at an angle across the page.  In All of My Friends...the story is told in bold typeset which fits that story and illustrations perfectly.  DeForge has an amazing sense of how to convey an atmosphere using every available element from typesetting to layout.

I've read it through again just while writing this review.  "Mars is my last hope" is beautiful.  Every time I return to the book I see something new.  I'd recommend this comic for fans of short fiction, works like Etgar Keret's stories.