Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Schmuck

Schmuck - Seth Kushner, Dean Haspiel, Gregory Benton, Josh Neufeld, Jonathan Ames

Schmuck is a slightly fictionalized graphic memoir about one man's quest for love.

Feeling defeated, like a jerk and a schmuck Adam Kessler stumbles through one failed relationship after another.  What is wrong with him?  What is wrong with her?  Why was one friend able to recover from a breakup so quickly while Adam struggles to get through the day without thoughts of her.

He tries many approaches, online dating, random hook-ups, getting back with his exes (or trying to), the bar scene, fix ups by friends.  None of them lead to anything but bitter disappointment.

As the graphic novel progresses we watch on as Adam stresses over phone calls, laments over past mistakes and berates himself for his callousness, selfishness and superficiality in his search for love.

We also watch as he continues day after day to try to make connections.  Even though he's failing at least he keeps at it.  It gives hope to schmucks everywhere.  We also see him start forming a friendship and eventual love with a girl he first met in a bar, then started a penpal friendship that eventually landed him on a beach, bent on one knee with a ring in hand.

It's a funny tale, there are plenty of times when Adam does pretty mortifying things, so readers can look on in horror and sympathy, yet also chuckle to themselves.

I also enjoyed the introduction by Jonathan Ames, writer of the awesome show "Bored to Death."  If you like that show, check out this graphic and vise versa.