Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Another Story From Camp

Honor Girl - Maggie Thrash, Maggie Thrash

Maggie Thrash writes about a summer at camp in this graphic memoir about coming-of-age, self discovery and romantic disappointment.

Honor Girl starts out with 15-year old Maggie Thrash returning to Camp Bellflower.  While camp starts out just the same as ever, same crazy fun roommates, same hyjinks, same clubs and cliques, a brief encounter with one of the counselors disrupts Maggie's entire world view.

Seeking respite from her endless anxious thoughts about her sexuality and about her crush Maggie throws herself into target practice and gets closer and closer to earning her D.E. (Distinguished Expert) with her rifle.

Other than her total identity crisis, Maggie also has to deal with a jealous older girl, who freaks out when Maggie gets close to earning her D.E. first, as well as her best friend who feels like Maggie is ditching her for a different crowd.  Not to mention the stern camp leaders who disapprove of the direction they see Maggie heading and want to steer her around to the 'proper' ways of behaving (and thinking).

The camp story is sandwiched between the halves of her day as a 17 year old meeting her old camp crush one more time.

A very cool story that reaches out to readers.  Maggie's way of dealing with the situations is very relatable and universal.  One couldn't help but recall their own awkward days of stumbling towards self-discovery.  For me it was especially poignant since I went to a summer camp pretty similar to the one depicted here, except a little less Confederate and a little more Jesus-y.

Highly recommended reading!