Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Behind the Scenes Inspiration

Out on the Wire: The Storytelling Secrets of the New Masters of Radio - Jessica Abel

Jessica Abel's graphic novel about narrative storytelling on the radio is awesome, informative, exciting, a narrative storytelling experience in comic rather than audio form.  Abel's wonderful illustrations brought life to the story, even in the blank spaces she left.

As she explored the 'secrets' of creating compelling stories on radio, readers could see examples of it at work in her book.  I loved the pauses she created after the "aha" moments by singling out a panel or leaving the panels behind to create a wider scene.

By the end she talks about how her experience interviewing the creators of shows such as Planet Money, This American Life, the Moth and Snap Judgement (among others) helped her to develop her own writing and illustration in the resulting graphic.  It's a meta experience, but one that not only brought out the best in Abel, but made me feel a rush of desire to keep trying to navigate my own German Forest.

I'm not sure if I have the will or tenacity that those in the book, including Abel, possess, but it was wonderful to bask in their creative light for a while at least.

For fans of NPR, podcasts such as Serial or Welcome to Night Vale, this would be an interesting inside look into how those stories get created and perhaps an inspiration to take it on for oneself.

Good luck!