Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Useless, but necessary?

Poetry Is Useless - Anders Nilsen

Poetry is useless is a collection of Nilsen's travel journals, ideas, jokes and poetry(which is not bad).

I don't particularly like poetry.  I think that stems from having had to write so much of it throughout school.  I thought that I'd finally escaped once I started college, but the first writing class I took lingered long over the topic of poetry.  Needless to say, I can't write poetry for anything.  That's probably where my discomfort lay, on the fact that poetry reminds me of times when I felt stupid.

Nilsen's short entries, illustrations and musings did not, however.  I was glad that he allowed readers entry into his thoughts.  I especially enjoyed his use of remixed proverbs, such as, "Yea, though I walk through the valley of death I shall walk softly and carry a big stick" and his word play such as, "The beatings will continue until morality improves."

It's bleak humor, but that's pretty much my favorite kind.  One more favorite word bubble, "Everything I needed to know about life I learned from opening other people's mail."

There is also a short memoir about the author going to a signing where he met someone who shared the same name, first and last and another odd detail that left him wondering and was also a frightening thought for readers.  What if someone shared a name with you and your past started to look like their future?

By turns humorous, thought-provoking and moving, this collection of illustrations, silhouettes, comic strips, memoirs and portraits is something to be shared with others or contemplated alone.