Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Do You Read Short Stories?

Other Stories and the Horse You Rode in on - Dakota McFadzean

I do.  I love short stories.  I love how some authors are able to construct and display such amazing worlds in only a few pages, or sometimes even just sentences.  The complexities of relationships and histories encapsulated with perfect words and pacing into just a glimpse or into an entire life story all in the space of a few thousand words.  To me that is beautiful.

Other Stories and the Horse You Rode in On captured the feel of a short story collection perfectly.  Etgar Keret is one of my favorite writers and these short comic tales felt very similar to his prose.  Each had a bit of tragedy a bit of melancholia and magic realism.

My favorite in the collection was "Ghost Rabbit" which reminded me of Calvin and Hobbes, especially the section where the little girl dances with the rabbit.  I felt like I was getting a glimpse of Susie and Mr. Bun did on their own, when Calvin wasn't around to disrupt them, anyway.

So, fans of Calvin & Hobbes shoud definitely check this book out.  It's more short stories rather than comic strips, but each story does often have a bit of a wry humor to it, like is often present in Watterson's comic.

Even the front cover and back tell a story, though it's up to the reader to fill in the blanks.  This is a comic that will lend itself to multiple readings and interpretations.  Would make for a good book discussion.