Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Please Don't

Superannuated Man TP - Ted McKeever, Ted McKeever Rocket Girl #2 - Brandon Montclare, Amy Reeder

Ted McKeever's The Superannuated Man is about a world gone mutated (and mad).  "He" is the last man standing, living at the edge of a society of mutated creatures, once animals, now something between animal and human.  Just trying to eek out and existence on the edge of their society He can't help but get pulled into the local politics.

When he heads into town to trade a coat for a bag of fish so that he can then trade the bag of fish for a all day movie showing and all you can eat popcorn he ends up facing his demons of his past.  Why he needed to trade his coat for fish when he lived on a fishing boat?  Don't ask me.

A dog he'd dognapped years ago, before the world got devastated by whatever mutagenic thing happened, is found again.  Once a Boston terrier, Peanut (or Captain as He calls her) has become a monstrous hulk, living beneath the polluted and rotting city in a land of the dead, and looking like Frankenstein's monster herself, with bits sewn on here and there (by whom, I'm not sure).  Closure comes too late though as Peanut/Captain is crushed beneath the debris of the collapsing city.

I don't know why it is, but, I've found that when titles start out with author's names, i.e. Clive Barker's ... or Morrison's ... etc. I'm not usually inclined to like the contents of whatever follows.  This book followed that case exactly.  I found it lacked plot and substance and I could not have cared less what happened to He or any of the animals populating this accursed world.

Next up, Teen-aged Cop from futuristic version of 2013 visits the technicolor 1980's:

Rocket Girl is about a 15 year old cop from the future who needs to go back in time to prevent the corrupt Quintom Corporation from taking over the world with their time-travel technology (which she is bringing back to the past...).

Overall this was an okay comic.  Although it's time travel plot didn't make the most sense to me (time travel is pretty tricky stuff) it was entertaining and action packed.  What lost a lot of points for me were the expressions.  While both men and women in the comic were occasionally drawn with exaggerated expressions, women were almost always drawn with their mouths stretched beyond normal proportions and often with a strange puckered lip.  And of course all women have full pink puckered lips, right?  In comic books they do I guess.  There was one scene in particular that bothered me, in which Annie, the main genius behind the technology in the story comes out of her bedroom in the morning, knowing that a teenager is staying with her, wearing only a pair of panties and an open white lab coat. In every (and I mean every) panel where she faced the camera of the four or five page scene she has her mouth wide open, often accompanied by an expression that made her look like she was in the throws of ecstasy.  Well, I'm not a fan.

There was also this message of "don't trust anyone over 30" going on, hence in the future we trust our security to teenagers, but truthfully, DaYoung our 15 year old protagonist, was, in my opinion, a pretty crappy police officer, endangering the lives of many civilians during her time in the 1980s.