Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

The More Things Change...

Oddly Normal Book 1 - Otis Frampton, Otis Frampton

The more they stay the same.  Or at least that's what it feels like for Oddly Normal when she is transported from her life on normal Earth, with normal bullies, to her life in Fignation.  Fignation is a place one probably has never heard of, it's only a figment of one's imagination.  And it's the place where all things imaginary live, including zombies, aliens and superheroes.

And now Oddly Normal.  Oddly's parents are a bit strange.  Well, her dad is a Normal, but her mom is actually a witch from Fignation.  They fell in love, got married and had a baby they named Oddly.  Oddly Normal.  On Oddly's 10th birthday she made a wish, a wish that went rather badly and now her parents have disappeared and put herself in danger, but from what she has no idea and her crazy Auntie isn't telling.

So, now she has to live in Fignation and go to school there too.  On her first day of school she's excited.  Finally she'll go to a school where she won't be the weirdest kid on campus.  Finally she'll fit in.  Wrong!  On her first day she gets targeted by the same kind of bullies she knew at her old school, the only difference is instead of being made fun of for her pointy ears and green hair, she gets called, "Wartless Wonder" and "Earther."

Still, with her parents missing Oddly has more to worry about than school bullies.

Very nice art, fun storyline and a bunch of cool characters.  The bullying elements are pretty light, but still Oddly looks like she'll be a good role model, already standing up for other kids.

Also, this kind of reminded me (nostalgically) of "Scooby Doo and Ghoul School."

More kids adventure stories set in fantastical worlds: