Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Admission

Even the Giants - Jesse Jacobs

Sometimes I write long ranting paragraphs about terrible things that will befall people who annoy me.  I call them curses.  Recently I'd begun doing some rather terrible computer drawings to accompany these rants.

My favorite parts of Jesse Jacobs comic, Even the Giants, shows that I'm not the only one to get these urges.  In word play reminiscent of William Carlos Williams poem, "This is just to say," A comic for my roommate explains what the narrator is willing to do to make up for snapping, including cleaning the carpeting and buying a new stereo, "but to those three fuckers I will not apologize."  That was my single favorite line of my favorite comic in the entire thing.

Throughout the comic there is the story of two giants terrorizing a local population, interspersed with short comics that sometimes link up with the greater narrative, but sometimes are just random thoughts.

I actually really enjoyed that, it kept the whole thing fresh and interesting and kept my mind linking and wondering throughout the comic.  Plus the art was really neat.  Similar to Sublife, this was also subdued muted colors.  I also loved the illustration of cheese graters.  For a comic about people being eaten, sliced in half, or having other bizarre things happen to them, it was rather beautiful.