Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Wish I Could Be Paid for Being a Misanthrope

The Infinite Wait and Other Stories - Julia Wertz

The Infinite Wait is three sections taken from Wertz life, the first "Industry" cataloging her various jobs, from collecting rocks and selling them to her neighbor to finally becoming a comic book author.  The second, "The Infinite Wait" about discovering she had systemic lupus and going through a lot to deal with that diagnosis.  The third about her love for the various libraries in her life (aww!).

I enjoyed reading each and every panel of this comic.  Julia Wertz has had a lot of crap happen to her, but through each bad job, crap relationship and difficulty she (and her brother) maintain a healthy cynicism and humor, which really made for some cockle-warming comics.  To me at least.

As I read I felt a certain kinship with Wertz.  She and I seem to share a similar world view.  The world view of a person who should not go to parties, or really be allowed to leave the house at all.  The only difference is that Wertz managed to land a job where her misanthropy is not only allowed, but deemed an asset.  I work in public service, so pretty much the opposite.  Lots of free fake smiles given out each day!

It's a memoir that doesn't leave anything out, but no matter how embarrassing or difficult the topic Wertz manages to find some humor in it to lighten the mood.  I also appreciated the love shown to the library in the final story, just like Wertz me and my brother were pros at the library booksales, each of us staking out a different section as soon as we were let in the door, though neither of us has stopped going to them...it's become kinda ridiculous actually.

Reading this has made me want to track down everything I can find by Julia Wertz and read it.  So, that's my TBR list filled again.  For those who enjoy auto-bio comics, or Calvin and Hobbes.