Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Two Generations Later and He's Still At It

Edward Scissorhands Volume 1: Parts Unknown - Kate Leth, Drew Rausch

So, when I was a kid I watched Edward Scissorhands with my family.  Maybe I was too young.  In the years after watching it I would continue to fear that Scissorhands was hiding in my closet, have dreams in which the clawed fiend would stalk, in short I was really pretty afraid of Edward Scissorhands.  Not as afraid as I was of those Witches in the movie adaptation of the Roald Dahl novel of the same name, which actually caused me to vomit in fear, but still, Mr. Scissorhands haunted me.

I've long since out grown my fear of Johnny Depp covered in belts and stationary supplies, so I picked this up with only a sense of nostalgia rather than trepidation.

This is where I wish I could say that I was proven wrong, that the story was, like the movie, creepy, foreboding, yet also ethereal and beautiful (as those who actually liked that film would have said, I never saw it again and really don't much care).

The art was fun, a bit nostalgic for me as it reminded me of a lot of the cartoons I used to watch on Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network back in the day.  Leth definitely has some comic drawing chops.  Her style definitely took the Scissorhands story away from the subtle creepiness and more into the Invader Zim zaniness.  Which was fine with me.

However, there were a few aspects that I didn't think worked that well.  The first of which is just the length of the comic itself.  It's pretty thick for the first volume of a series.  The story also leaves little to look forward to in further volumes.

That brings me to the story.  In short it's about Edward Scissorhands being lonely.  Surprise!  So he decides to breath life into another of the inventor's half finished creations.  Surprise!  And it turns out the little mite (whom he names Eli) is evil. And he's loose in the neighborhood.  Surprise!

As Edward brings his new friend to life, the grand-daughter of Kim (his love in the film) is rediscovering her grandma's diary and deciding to investigate.  Surpr-wait, that is kinda weird.  I don't think I would have thought that up.  I have to say my stranger-danger alert went on a bit when Scissorhands meets little Megan, like ewww...aren't you a little old for her?  I just don't think it's right.  But, that's just me.  Also, isn't Edward a little sad about the fact that Kim grew up, had kids, and got old all without him?

Next, the fact that the story is kinda meandering, nothing really happens and there wasn't any real climax or discovery in the story.  It was basically a rehash of the movie.  Townspeople scared by weird outsider.  Weird outsider saves town.  They make bush sculptures together.  End.

This seems like it'd really only appeal to super fans of Edward Scissorhands.  For the rest of us, it's a little too much to read, a little too light in the storytelling.  The best part was actually the end where all the people involved in the project talk about their awkward teenage years.  Literally the best writing and stories I read in the whole thing.