Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

How Can Hack & Slash Be So Refreshing?

Rat Queens Volume 2: The Far Reaching Tentacles of N'Rygoth - Kurtis J. Wiebe

Okay.  That's it.  Rat Queens is mind-blowingly awesome.

Awesome characters.  An amazing amount of diversity in the characters, situations, stories and jokes which far exceeds most other serialized comics I've ever read.

I enjoyed this volume even more than the first one, which is saying a lot, since I raved over that one too (first review).  Again, back stories are explored, our favorite character's secrets are revealed (they are all my favorites).  I'm so glad that we start out right where we left off in the first issue, because I don't want to miss a second!

It's original, hilarious, has a great story, the characters are actually people, although they all have their particular strengths/weaknesses the comic doesn't revolve around their superhuman abilities.  I loved the way they turned the whole Princess Leia/damsel in distress on it's head, and it was done in a way that kept it fresh and not as if the two roles had been reversed (which would make it all meaningless after all).  Anyone who is trying to publish feminist comics should take a look at this (I'm speaking towards those who currently publish things like the horrible PrinceLess and think that they are writing empowering stories about women).

It's more than just better than typical comics, it's subversive.  Rat Queens never takes itself too seriously, it's refreshing and it does it with a group of women, who talk to each other about more than just boys!  I know, right!?  Crazy!!  Of course there are dudes, and they kick butt too, but Rat Queens are a group of adventurers and friends who put each other first, live for that bag of 50 gold and each have a complicated backstory which will probably include dead parents...

I highly recommend this comic for anyone, but especially for those out there who play (or played in high school) table-top RPGs like Dungeons & Dragons, this is the best fantasy comic I've ever read.