Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Yeah, I Know

Part-Time Princesses - Monica Gallagher, Monica Gallagher

What am I doing reading another princess book.  I don't know.  They just keep getting written and I just keep reading them.  At least this one didn't completely make me  throw up in my mouth.

It stars four high school seniors who all have big plans for their futures.  One plans to move to New York, because as soon as she goes on one interview she's going to be a top model.  Another can't wait until her parents pay to send her on a 'learning' trip around Europe where she'll meet many many hot guys.  The third has been studying hard throughout school and has applied to all the best colleges.  The fourth just knows she'll get onto the U of T's cheerleading squad, get a scholarship and become a pro cheerleader.

Of course, all of these plans completely fail and the girls are stuck with nothing.  They decide to return to "Enchanted Park" the rundown family theme park where they played the parts of four magical princesses.  But, when even their jobs at the park are threatened they decide it's time to fight back.

It was definitely another weird comic.  There were some scenes that didn't quite fit into the book.  Especially the sudden romance between two characters - that although very sweet didn't have enough background to it to really make sense.  The plot was a little flimsy and the characters were a little too unlikeable to really sell this graphic novel.

I'm all for empowering women, I'm just not sure four girl stereotypes is the way to go to do that.  Sure, they may have kicked butt and realized that their futures may hold something more than chasing boys or jumping around with pompoms, but I'm not sure if they really developed emotionally, they still seemed like the stereotypical mean girls from beginning to end.