Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

The Best

The Princess and the Pony - Kate Beaton

Okay, well, you'd think I'd have learned by now to avoid things with "Princess" in the title.  Usually that doesn't go so well for me (see my reviews of the Princeless series and the Courageous Princess).

However, Kate Beaton, has to be one of my favorite comic artists ever.  I love her art, I love her humor, I love everything she does.  So, obviously I loved The Princess and the Pony.

The art is amazing, the details are so hilarious and perfect, her characters are all fun and she gives everyone such great facial expressions.

The story.  Let me tell you about the story; it's about Princess Pinecone, who wants to be a mighty warrior, but instead of a magic amulet or fancy cloak, Pinecone is always getting cute, comfy sweaters.

But, not this year!  No, Sir!  This year Princess Pinecone let everyone know exactly what she wanted for her birthday, a mighty warrior steed.

When she's presented with rather short, rather round pony instead she tries to make the best of it, but well, the pony is definitely no warrior.  With a great battle coming up fast will Pinecone and her pony be able to make the grade?

I just loved every second of reading this book.  In fact, I read it aloud to my brother and then later I read it aloud to my parents.  All of whom loved it, too.  I can't believe I'm about to type this, but I'm actually excited to read this during family storytime at work.  Seriously, I can't wait, because I know the kids are going to love it too.  It's great to have a book with the word "Princess" in the title that will appeal to both girls and boys.

If you have a kid, you've got to get this book from the library pronto.  They will love it and you for reading it to them, with voices.  And fart sounds.  And a a big "bah-dump" sound effect when you reveal the pony.  Or at least that's how I tell it.

It's also great to read with kids outside of storytime, because the art has so much to offer, so much to talk about.  Even past the story, it would be great to let kids explore the battle scene, laugh at the funny sweaters and notice the diversity of characters represented in the book.  Young and old warriors, guy and girl warriors, warriors of every skin color and body type, it's awesome.  Thank you Kate Beaton!

Check out Kate Beaton's webcomic, which I highly recommend:  Hark, a vagrant