Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Is it Slice of Life? Or what?

My Neighbor Seki, 1 - Takuma Morishige

My Neighbor Seki (Tonari no Seki-kun) was first published in a monthly magazine called Comic Flapper along with a bunch of pretty diverse titles like Dance of the Vampire Bund and Twin Spica.  It's a seinen magazine, so it makes sense that this series doesn't involve more of the shojo elements like love at first sight and love triangles, but it also doesn't include any fanservice either.   So far the plot seems to be pretty much non-existent. Seinen comics are generally marketed to adult men.

The comic consists of short chapters featuring Yokoi and Seki two students who sit next to each other in the back of the class.  Each chapter features some new project Seki works on at his desk, from setting up a complex domino chain to running a post office for passing notes in class.  Each day despite her attempts to pay attention to the lessons Yokoi gets sucked into Seki's games.

Yokoi attempts to steer Seki in the right direction by providing a good example of studiousness, but pretty much always becomes preoccupied with foiling his games or writing him notes to actually pay much attention in class.

It's a light, amusing read that takes only a few minutes to read.  A nostalgic school tale of two middle grade students goofing off during class.  I have no idea what will develop in future volumes, if the kids will age into high school, if there will be romance, if more characters will join, but it was interesting enough that I think I want to find out.

Librarian Note:  Although this was published in a seinen magazine, we've got it cataloged in the Teen Graphics section where I work.  Which isn't wrong, there is absolutely nothing that would even keep it out of the children's section so far really, but it just makes me wonder again what kind of process goes into cataloging manga, how decisions get made about a genre that still seems to be not very well understood.