Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Kind of Tragic

Vacancy (Nobrow 17x23) - Jen Lee

Hipster suburban critters battle the loneliness and desperation of a run-down city.

I loved the detail put into this comic, I spent a lot of time just studying the pages and the characters and noticing all the little things, like the fact that one of the wild animals from the Deep woods had a tracking collar on.  All the backgrounds added a lot of information to the story as well.

The story follows Simon, a pet dog, who wants to join his 'pack' out in the wilds, but as the story winds on we see how lonely and abandoned Simon is and that his escape isn't so much towards the woods as away from 'home.'

I loved the dialogue in the comic, which was at turns hilarious, as when our characters first encounter the wild pack, "Lookit these cornfed basics." Or, "I can't believe your judging my lifestyle."  "...Prime pred territory..."  Just awesome.  There are also some really heartfelt moments and a sense of unease that builds throughout the comic as day turns to night.

When we reach the conclusion of the short comic, the image is perfect, the silhouettes on the fence captured a wonderful transition and ending.

This is a very visually appealing comic, where all the detail in the clothing and expressions along with the layout of the panels added up to a really well thought out story that highlighted the meaningful elements leading to a deep understanding of the characters and situations in the comic.

This is Jen Lee's first published comic and I'm really looking forward to more from her. Check out her webcomic here: http://thunderpaw.co