Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

It's Not About the Powers -- Wait...is that Sarah Palin!?

America's Got Powers (#1-7) - Jonathan Ross, Bryan Hitch

So, one day a blue glowing crystal egg thing fell from the sky and hit California.

A blue light exploded from the egg and suddenly all the women within 5 miles gave birth, and all their babies had powers - except one.

That kid, Tommy, is our main protagonist.  He is just a normal guy, no super strength, no telekinesis, nothing.  But still, he's part of the Powered generation and as such is under constant watch by the government.

When these super-powered kids became teens there were riots.  Teens were outta control.  So the government decided to step in and put all the powered into a special academy, training to battle in the arena for a show called, "America's Got Powers."

The real reason behind the show, however, is of course to control, test and figure out how best to use and weaponize the kids.  The main forces behind this decision are a scientist, who looks kind of like David Tennant, and really wants to harness and share the power among everyone, a general, who wants to use the kids to "defend" the great U. S. of A. and a power hungry senator, who looks a lot like Sarah Palin.

Susan Handler (Sarah Palin) is the main villain of the piece, her first appearance has her taking advantage of three young women, so obviously she's not a great person.  Later she threatens to shoot Tommy's mom in the face if she doesn't get what she wants.

It turns out that all those powered kids who'd fallen during the course of the brutal last season of America's Got Powers aren't really dead, but have been put to use in a different way, including Tommy's super-strong brother Bobby.

When Tommy's power emerges he earns the name "Zero" but what does his power mean to the world, what should he do with it and who can he trust.  Will Tommy be able to rescue his brother, mother and girlfriend and figure out who sent the Powers and for what reason?

An interesting comic that combined both some very old material with some new ideas.  I liked that the love interest was actually a very realistic girl rather than some spandex bikini clad bimbo.  I also liked the ending.

However, it is still pretty typical super hero comics.  For those who like that, this is a solidly drawn comic with a pretty good plot line and some nice character development.  That said, it's no slice of life piece and there are a few weird moments and a few too many characters to really give anyone deep development.