Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

So, what's the point?

Black River - Josh Simmons

The story follows a group of women and one man as they journey through a post-apocalyptic nightmare world.  First they strike lucky when they discover an abandoned horde of food, clothing and guns.  They also discover a journal, which talks about a city called Gattenburg that still has running water, crops, electricity and things like stereos and televisions.

Some of the members think it would be a good idea to find Gattenburg and see if they could gain entry, but the party just wanders on, until they reach a stand up comedy club where they decide to take a break from the road.

Moments after they enter and grab some free drugs called 'gumdrops' from a huge fish bowl a group of biker dudes enters, also armed to the teeth.  A fight breaks out and after slaughtering the entire group of men the women flee into the night.

Later the group is again assaulted as they rest, this time they get abducted and taken one by one to be raped.  Although they do manage to escape, they lose a few members and later even more as two of the surviving members take their own lives after the horrors that they witnessed.

In the end the remaining women, still armed with various weapons, find another settlement and decide to go in guns blazing.  One of the characters remarks, "Whatever happened to that plan we had to find Gattenburg" (or something to that effect) and another replies, "Oh, remember we found that burned down 12 years ago" (or something).

I was like.  So what have I been reading this for?  Just for kicks? Because I wasn't really having any kicks.  In fact, I'd like some closure for what I've just been through thanks, not this BS.

I mean, there was one scene where it looked like the women were just shooting guns in random directions and eating mud.  What was the context?  What was the meaning?  Why introduce Gattenburg as an obvious plot goal in the beginning and then casually say, oh yeah that was over like forever ago.  There was no way to tell how much time was passing anyway.  Why am I slogging through such awful horrible stuff if there's no point to it?  I just don't get it and I don't like it.  Pointlessly brutal and insensitive.