Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Diary Comics

Diary Comics Number 1 - Jan-Jun 2010 - Dustin Harbin Diary Comics 2 - Dustin Harbin Diary Comics 3 - Dustin Harbin Diary Comics 4 - Dustin Harbin

I read these comics all in one volume, called "Diary Comics."  Obviously it's a autobio comic based on two years in Dustin Harbin's (Dharbin) life.  It also contains an intro that has been added to this collected version.

It is a very introspective work (even for autobio) and often the comics represent, not exactly what was going on, but what was happening in Dharbin's imagination, or just his thought process about his life, his comics, what the hell he was doing, etc.

I really identified with Dharbin, his struggles against awkwardness, constantly putting his foot in his mouth at parties, feeling out of place even among his peers.  I was very familiar with some of his thoughts and feelings, experiencing them myself.  The conversations he has with himself as he's trying to convince himself he's a loser, or trying to convince himself to get off his ass and do stuff.

One of my favorite moments was at the end where he basically admits to himself that he's fake, that in doing these comics, he was just living for the sake of presenting amusing comics, and that he wasn't even fake in that he was pretending to be something he was not, but just that he was pretending to be something.

And then goes on to acknowledge that he lives his life 100% in his own head, that he has a hard time connecting with people because he creates simulacrum of those people in his own mind, who then compete with the real people for his attention.

Yeah.  I totally get that.  Imagined people are way easier to understand than real people.  Why you people gotta be so complex!?