Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

An Abolitionist Tale

Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: The Underground Abductor (An Abolitionist Tale) - Nathan Hale

Nathan Hale returns with another of his Hazardous Tales, this time taking place just before the Civil War, when daring Araminta Ross, growing up a slave, witnessing brutality and injustice on all sides, takes her chances on the underground railroad (URR).  After changing her name to Harriet Tubman she becomes the most famous, abductor and conductor in the history of the the URR.

As usual for his series Nathan Hale takes on a very brutal, frightening and heart-rending historical period and the personal story of Harriet Tubman and creates an inspiring, kid-friendly story, with a lot of added details that are sure to spark further interest in history and civil rights in children (and hopefully adults too).

This is a top-notch historical graphic novel and a wonderful introduction to any kid to this amazing figure.  We already know about Harriet Tubman's courageous travels in and out of the South leading people out of slavery and into freedom, but we also learn about her marriage to John Tubman, her time as a nurse during the civil war and her work as a spy for the North.  She was an amazing woman!

I'd recommend this to kids who like true stories, especially those who enjoy history.  This is similar to the "I Survived" series by Lauren Tarshis, though Hale often injects more humor into his works than Tarshis.