Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Uh...what just happened?

Dark Engine Volume 1: The Art of Destruction - Ryan Burton, John Bivens

Have you ever wanted to see a naked woman burst out of the head of a hippo?

If so, Dark Engine is the comic for you!  Unless, of course, you'd also like to know why there is a naked woman exploding out of the head of a hippo.  Then, sorry, I have no idea.

This bizarro comic book starts out in a weird wasteland with this dragon guy (looks more like Hellboy's dunwich born half-cousin) who sits around waiting for um...this crazy lady?

Okay, I'll do my best to explain what I saw.  First off, this naked woman bursts out of a dinosaur.  I'm pretty sure she bites off her own umbilical cord which was attached to the dinosaur?  I'm not sure.  Then she kills another dinosaur, then she's riding a dinosaur and then suddenly she's sprouting weird vine/tentacles from every orifice and then she bursts out of a hippo's head.

That's just the beginning.  She bursts out of further animals later in the book.  For why?  I have no clue.  I kind of don't understand how it is that, whenever we get a close up of what I can only assume is her uterus, suddenly she's bursting out of some poor animal somewhere.  How does that make any sense?

There's more to it than just watching this half-naked rib wielding maniac woman decimate her way across time and space.  There's also bits with the strange "dragon" man where he does stuff?  I'm not sure what he's doing, just going around squatting oddly in various locations.  Then there's the bits with the gay men of the future.  So, first there were two guys, obviously lovers, but one dude apparently saw the woman being born and that screwed up his head so he jumped to his death.  The other guy, troubled by this, goes to figure out why his lover's head got all messed up and ends up drugged and sleeping with another guy - Ok.  I have no more ideas.  I'm sorry guys, but this one just totally made no sense to me whatsoever and I can't get past the fact that there's only one girl character and she can't even talk.

This is a thumbs down.