Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Er...Hellboy?

Goners Volume 1: We All Fall Down - Jacob Semahn, Jorge Corona

Goners starts out tragically with the death of the famous Latimers, a family that has been on the forefront of the battle against the things that go bump in the night.  They leave behind their two children, teen-aged Zoe and her little brother twelve year old Josiah (he looks more like he's 7, the kid is just tiny).

An attack has been launched against the entire Latimer family and the two kids are now in grave danger!!  Luckily they have the butler, Francis, to protect them.  Francis has been around for ages and seems to be able to survive just about anything, but can he protect the kids when they take off to solve the mystery of their parents murder on their own?

Goners is a longish graphic, with tons of action scenes and monsters.  It jumps about a bit in the Latimer's history as well, and has a ton of various mysterious characters, which can get a bit confusing.

In the end, I enjoyed the comic for the art and action, but wasn't really compelled by the plot.  Perhaps for me there was a little too much plot going on that wasn't clearly explained between all the explosive battle scenes.

One thing I was confused about was the take over of Evelyn Latimer by the Succubus.  Did that happen before she married Raleigh or after?  And it seemed like he already knew about it...so why didn't they do something about that already?

Finally, having young Josiah become a large red, hooved and horned demon at the end...well it seemed awfully familiar.  Sure, he didn't have a large stone arm, but still he was able to defy his purpose in the name of (familial) love, just like a similarly devilish character we know as Hellboy.

Despite my confusion and the slightly too close Hellboy reference, this was a fun volume and I'll probably check out the next book too.  For fans of Hellboy, this seems to stray even more to the mythological rather than the Lovecraftian side, so if that's your thing, check this one out.