Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

The Unwritten; Apocalypse

The Unwritten Vol. 11: Apocalypse - Mike Carey, Peter Gross

The Unwritten is a series I've been following for a long time.  It's a complicated and complex story about a man who discovers his life is linked inextricably to a character in a book his dad wrote.  And that he's also part of a plan to end stories altogether and by doing, destroy the world.

This is the final volume of Unwritten, so for those unfamiliar I don't give away any big spoilers, but I do talk about how the ending made me feel, so perhaps skip to the final thoughts.  Just know, I've really enjoyed following the characters of this story and it has gave me a lot of food for thought as well.  For fans of classic literature or just books in general, this is a must read series, or if you want to show some naysayer that comics can be smart, this is the one.

Volume 11 of the Unwritten brings a lot of closure to the characters.  As with all issues in the series, the characters face a host of challenges and obstacles, set backs and traps.  Readers are left to wonder just who is on whom's side and each moment fate hangs in the balance.

We turn to one of the most epic adventures this time, the Grail Quest.  The object of power is sought by all three, the homicidal/suicidal Pickman, the puppeteer Anna-Beth and Tom Taylor et al.  Who will prevail and what will it lead to for the rest of the world?

The end comes, the pages fade to white, but the great thing about books is...you can just turn the page.

Turns out there is something mightier than any life-giving chalice, trumpet or sword.  Wilson once again takes up the pen, will he craft a better story this time around?  The final volume wraps everything that happened in the series up nicely, but what happens to Tom?

Readers are left with an unanswered question - will there be more?

I hope so.

Want to start reading The Unwritten?  Start at the beginning and don't skip a panel.