Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Coolest Weapon EVER

[ The Shaolin Cowboy: Shemp Buffet BY Darrow, Geof ( Author ) ] { Hardcover } 2015 - Geof Darrow

I've never read any of the Shaolin Cowboy comics before this, but luckily that really doesn't matter.

First of all, you may want to skip those first couple intro pages which give the story so far, but do not do that, just don't.  Read that thing.  Sure, it's in tiny type and looks like a huge wall of boring text, but in the end you'll thank me, because it is flippin' hilarious.  Though, maybe not if you are easily offended.  Or hate Obamacare.

That said, skipping the intro doesn't really affect the comic as a whole.  For fans of zombie fighting, this truly is a buffet.  The Cowboy emerges from the center of the earth to take on a horde of undead with his trusty double-chain saw long pole...thing.  Heads and bodies are disassociated, innards are strewn and gore stains the desert sand.

The detail put into this 'shemp buffet' is astounding, from crumpled beer cans to the wrinkled tattoos of a thousand desiccated corpses, everything is precise.  And all the zombies have tats.  I suspect the horde originated at a Grateful Dead concert, but, since they seemed to have followed the Cowboy up from Hell I'm not really sure.

Although I really appreciated the endlessly detailed battle scene depicted in the comic, I wish there had been a bit more of a story going on.  As it is the art is great, but I don't feel like I need to know "what happens next."  Which I think is important in any medium.  I had a good time, and if I happen to pick up another Shaolin Cowboy comic, I'll definitely read it, but it's not something I'm going to seek out on my own.

Also, so much effort was put into the introduction pages at the beginning, so much funny stuff hidden in such small type, I think the whole comic would be slightly more successful if the two disparate elements would combine.

Or, if it was made into a 'where's waldo' type search & find challenge.  That would be awesome.