Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

What does "Ghosted" mean?

Ghosted, Vol. 1 - Joshua Williamson, Goran Sud┼żuka, Miroslav Mrva

Is it like "haunted" only ...lame?  Or maybe a euphemism for getting killed?  What happened to Larry?  Oh, he got ghosted.  I don't know.  Maybe I wouldn't have even noticed if I'd liked the comic more, but since I didn't, I'm just looking for stuff which I can make fun.

Anyway.  Ghosted is about a prison break.  No it's about a heist.  Nope, it's about a haunted mansion.  Laying spirits to rest, getting revenge, forgiveness?

There's a lot going on here obviously.  We start off with a guy, Jackson T. Winters, in prison, witnessing and experiencing how tough it is.  (The first scene in fact is a lovely full page spread of a prison rape, I should have realized right then what I was getting into with this comic).

Next he is broken out of prison using a riot as cover.  The person who broke him out (and subsequently knocked him out) is this badass blonde lady who is working as a hired thug for an insane rich old dude who has got an obsession with the supernatural.

Things I hated about Jackson T. Winters.

1.  His name.  What is it with geeks and first name middle initial last name intros of their main characters?  You'll notice (if you're ever forced to read this crap) that no one else in the comic has the distinction of being introduced this way, except Winters.

2.  Immediately after having been knocked out by the butt of her rifle, Winters decides he can mack on her.  Even though she obviously is not interested in him at all.

3. He is a misogynistic arrogant jerk.

So, Winters is hired for an insane amount (including a private island) to steal a ghost from this extremely haunted mansion so that Rich Nut can complete his crazy collection.  Obviously we all know there is more to it than that, but what could it be.  He brings on his "crew," (I thought he was traumatized because everyone in his crew was dead?) plus one crazy chick, who of course is a typical goth princess type.  Aren't all psychics the same?

They enter the mansion and of course, everything goes to hell.  As expected the hired goon turns against Winters to fulfill her contract, plus apparently she feels indebted to Rich Nut for taking her in and saying she reminded him of his beloved lost sister.  To make her just this "daddy issues" person at the end.  Just not cool.

Then Winters and the psychic fill her with ghosts and send her back, where she slits her own throat, controlled by the ghost of the dead sister, who was used as a sacrifice by her brother so that he could gain immortality.

The end.

Well, not quite.  Then we see Winters strolling on a beach ogling women like a cad.  He doesn't seem to mourn or care about all the people who died during their heist in the mansion, including a full camera crew.

What a dick.