Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Go, Miss!

Yo, Miss: A Graphic Look At High Schoool (World Around Us) - Lisa Wilde, Kaycee Eckhardt

Yo, Miss A Graphic Look at High School, is exactly what it says, Miss Wilde gives readers a look into what goes on in her classroom from the highs - students winning awards and graduating HS - to the lows, illnesses, accidents, shootings and fights.

It's unexpected too.  I think the typical thoughts on youth in schools, especially, thinking that "good students" would have no problems and "bad students" would be stupid and cause trouble and act out for fun.

One of my favorite characters in the book, Natalie, is very intelligent and driven and Miss Wilde notes from the beginning that she feels Natalie would graduate with no trouble, but then Natalie gets pregnant.  Teenage pregnancy is not something that only happens to "stupid" girls.

I also love that she has another character, Janis, come in the middle of the comic to say, "Just because you think I'll graduate without needing a lot of help doesn't mean I don't need you!"  She tries to focus on giving each student, no matter where they're at in school work, attention and help.

We also get to see a glimpse of the family stories beyond what everyone's doing at school.  One kid is absent because he has to help out with his family business when his dad gets sick.  Another, even though he's doing well in school, is involved in gang activity and loses a friend in a shooting and is on probation already.

The graphic novel follows the kids through the year of school, culminating in a graduation ceremony.  Although the students and their lives in the book are all fictional, there are some poems, songs and essays by real students of Ms. Wilde in the book.

Overall, I'd say this would be a great book to recommend for anyone, especially adults really, since teens are already living those lives, sometimes adults need to be reminded what's important.