Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Why Not?

Ms. Marvel, Vol. 2: Generation Why - Jacob Wyatt, G. Willow Wilson, Adrian Alphona

The second volume of Ms. Marvel, I was looking forward to this!

The Good: Kamala kicks butt and looks awesome with that scarf!

The Bad: She hits us over the head with the Message.

I still liked it.  I didn't love that I was being lectured on how young kids these days have to pick up all the crap that the older generations left, all the poor decisions they made yada yada yada.

I think the reader gets enough from having Kamala be Pakistani-American living in Jersey City and also being part Inhuman.  I think that's a great thing to focus on as she moves forward, learns more about who she is and who she represents and what that means to her.  That storyline I can get behind.

The stuff about all these youths giving up on life because they need to sacrifice so that the world can be saved and prove their worth...ugh.  Then Kamala lecturing them on moving forward and that sacrificing themselves for all the old people who got the Earth into the situation in the first place isn't right...it grated a little.

Still, I loved the bits with Wolverine, which is saying a lot since I hate Wolverine.  I like the direction the comic is going.  I just hope they learn the art of subtlety, hitting readers with the message is not the way to go about changing minds, it needs to be a bit sneakier than that I'm afraid.