Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Is it that Time again!?

Adventure Time Vol. 5 - Ryan North

Well, maybe some would become sick of my repetitive reviews of Adventure Time...but well, they are really great.  And this time the cover image is even right!  Way to go Booklikes!  Keep it Up!

In this volume we learn the importance of listening to our voicemail messages in a timely fashion (you heard me Harris!).  Just when Finn and Jake are about to get their laze on, a crazy mass of bubblegum starts oozing up through the floor.  It tries to give Jake an inappropriate hug, but Jake's all about keeping boundaries and gives the creature a hug on his own terms.

By the time they arrive at the Candy Kingdom it's clear that the Bubblegum monster has taken over, the whole of the kingdom is covered.  But, what's Starchy doing there!?  And what's with his pink eyes and vacant grin?  If only Finn and Jake had listened to the urgent message from Princess Bubblegum earlier!

So PB and Marceline the Vampire Queen have a really fun co-storytelling session in this volume and we have some fun with a Birthday Surprise early in the issue too.  I really loved how the perspective in that part was as if we readers were part of the comic.

I guess I have to say it again, give Adventure Time a try if you're not already a fan, it's really good stuff, they keep it fresh, and the messages are totally on par for the kids (and adults too) without sounding at all preachy or lame.  There are references to new things, old things, rad things and even radder things.  (Is that a word?)

I'm reading these out of order, which really hasn't seemed to matter so far, but hey start at the beginning if you like!  There's special "Mathematical" editions for most the early issues too.