Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Shift in Perception

Hilda and the Midnight Giant - Luke Pearson

In The Midnight Giant Hilda and her mom are beset upon by a tiny invisible force determined to drive them from their quiet county home.

Hilda was born and has spent her entire life in that house and is not going to give it up without a fight.  Mom has other ideas, though.  If Hilda can't make friends with their invisible adversaries before the next attack, they're going to move to the city.

A late night visitor helps Hilda to see (via a big and tedious pile of paperwork) the invisible world that surrounds her house.  Tons and tons of tiny houses, for farther than the eye can see.  They were there long before Hilda's grandpa built their house and they're tired of having to live next to the invading giants.

At the same time however, a giant far larger than Hilda is also visiting the valley, towering over the house and even the nearby mountain.

Hilda must solve both problems, the war with the tiny invisible and terribly bureaucratic elves, and the visits from this mysterious giant.

A great lesson for looking at both sides of situation and knowing that as Ben Folds puts it, "There's always someone cooler than you."  The final event of the story and how Hilda reacts to it is an especially good message.