Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Heavy Comics

Hellboy: Weird Tales - Mike Mignola

Weird Tales is a huge collection of one shot comics centering around Hellboy and the B.P.R.D folks and done by a plethora of various illustrators and writers.  From vibrant and sometimes psychedelic spreads to black and white pencil drawings there is an art style sure to impress everyone.

The stories too vary from punchy satires of various hardboiled comic strips, newspaper funnies  and backstage peeks to harrowing stories of psychological terror, historical horrors and creepy prophecy.

Fans of the Hellboy series will definitely want to pick this collection up, although there is nothing here that will affect one's enjoyment of the ongoing series, there is a lot of background info and character development going on here that's not to miss.

For those unfamiliar with Hellboy, this might be a good taste.  The series is mainly a horror genre, but does regularly insert humor into it's pages, not to mention the characters really are ones you want to root for, with rich backgrounds devoid of the often soap opera-y flavor of super hero comics.  (Well mostly).

One word of warning.  It is a really thick and text heavy comic and some comics do deal with serious topics, so it's light neither in physicality nor in substance.