Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Predictable Re-Telling

Eye of Newt - Michael Hague, Michael Hague

Eye of Newt is about a young wizard's apprentice that must undergo his rite of passage to become a powerful wizard.  The rite of passage is entering into the dangerous netherworld through a secret passage and finding a source of power for his staff.

Newt also has the added complication of having to complete his rite at the same time as a young witch, Morgan Le Fey.  The two enter, Arthur Newt finds Morgan threatening, but soon finds himself rescuing her with a magic ring he got from a helpful lumpy thing (Gnome? Goblin?).

The two team up to find their sources and end up getting helped by a bossy and mysterious toad.  In the end they obtain their two magical sources and return, but the toad betrays them and a secret (which is easy to guess) is revealed.

The art wasn't really my favorite, very sketchy and the colors were dull rather than vibrant, I got very little sense of emotion from the characters and the trolls and other things were lumpy and odd rather than magical to me.

Fans of Merlin and Arthur Pendragon stories might find this appealing (or not) depending upon how much they crave anything to do with the pair.  However, for me the art, story and overall feel of the comic left much to be desired.