Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Monster Girls

Nurse Hitomi's Monster Infirmary Vol. 1 - Shake-O, Jason DeAngelis

It seems like there are a lot of 'monster girl' manga coming out recently.  All of them bawdy harem style series which would really only appeal to dudes.  Monster Musume for example is basically a series about a guy who is constantly trying to figure out how to sex it up with his snake lady (among many many other 'monster' girls, harpies, mermaids, things with tentacles etc.).  There is no real story, no point to discover, no plot other than the main character trying to picture how his GF goes to the toilet.

So, yeah, pretty classy stuff.  I couldn't bear to check out Monster Musume from the library, so I opted instead for Nurse Hitomi's Monster Infirmary.  The manga is about a clumsy cyclops who happens to be the school nurse.  The name of the school is unknown, but it seems to be a school that hosts quite a number of unique students.

In this volume Nurse Hitomi deals with the body image issues of a girl with a 320 cm long tongue, the reckless behavior of a zombie girl who doesn't take care of herself and the troubled friendship between a girl whose body is uncontrollably growing and her best friend, a girl whose body is uncontrollably shrinking.  And finally helps an invisible girl who feels invisible pop out of her cocoon into a beautiful butterfly.

I'm not saying that Nurse Hitomi is on par with Wondering Son or other more serious slice of life manga that explore body issues, relationships and coming of age strife.  By page six Nurse Hitomi's enormous bust is emphasized by having the girl with the long tongue uncontrollably slobber all up in it.  One male student has an eyeball licking fetish, one is entranced by the tongue girl finding her "saxy."

But, although the series is remaining true to it's perverted genre I have to give it a little credit for the messages Hitomi tries to instill in her students.  Everyone's body changes in different ways, everyone has things about themselves they're insecure about, just because your size changes your friendship doesn't have to and just because you have an invincible body doesn't mean you don't need to take care of it.

Maybe I won't ever read Nurse Hitomi's Monster Infirmary again, but it would be the first series I'd recommend if someone came to me looking for Monster Girls.