Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

I'm That Guy

Displacement - Lucy Knisley

Yes, I'm that horrible person who doesn't like Lucy Knisley.  I've read Relish, the foodie memoir, I've read her comic tour travelogue, Age of License and most recently I embarked with Knisley and her grands on a cruise-cation.  In all cases I've found myself growing annoyed with Knisley's entitled and privileged view of the world and her naval gazing whine about being young and inexperienced and alone blah blah blah.

I just can't seem to sympathize with Knisley and her 'poor twenty-something looking for love' diatribe.  When she can afford to live on her own, go on a cruise at late notice and demand expensive last minute travel changes (which she doesn't ultimately get) it's hard for me to even picture her living in the same world as the rest of us poor slubs whose grandparents fantasize about taking the bus to the casino.

I also really found the section where Knisley reflects on her status as 'favorite grandchild' rather distasteful.  She takes something that should indicate that she's a giving, patient and loving person and turns it into a contest (that she's winning).  She wonders if she's the favorite because she, like her mother's family, is vocal and forthright about her affections.

Which is kind of what Knisley was trying to show herself doing here, that she gave up her time and occasionally her dignity to give her grandparents a chance to take one last vacation, that she selflessly boarded a cruise ship ready and willing to wash her grandfather's soiled clothing, deal with her grandmother's forgetfulness and freakouts and help them have a good time.   Which in itself is wonderful, if she weren't constantly pointing out how hard it was and how good she was for doing it.  Throughout the narrative she acts like she's made a special effort to do so, gone above and beyond what any other person would do.  All I could think was that she wanted some sort of award for taking care of her own grandparents on a cruise-boat for a week.

If you read one depressing bio-comic about aging, go with the much more self-aware "Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant" by Roz Chast.