Hollowspine

I'm Reading Comeeks

Aptly Titled

Magical Girl Apocalypse Vol. 1 - Kentaro Sato

This is pretty easy.  It's mahou-shojo with the Rage Virus.

Take one part Sailor Moon, Magic Knight Rayearth, Card Captor Sakura, and every other magical girl franchise out there and add to it one part Battle Royale and two parts High School of the Dead.  It's 100% typical of the genre, yet the bizarre elements that make up this comic lend it novelty.

With the references to Battle Royale and HS of the Dead, yes, it is completely gruesome.  About 10 pages into the book a teacher's head explodes.  Even before that though the cruelty of the student body (ala Battle Royale) is being paraded in front of readers. In this world, it's not only the undead magical girls that endanger our heroes.  Oh, yeah and just like HS of the Dead and Battle Royale there's no shortage of panty shots and physics defying boobs, not to mention just gross stuff, like puke, blood and urine, all which make an appearance here.

We start out with our typical high school guy, Kii.  He's bored with his day in day out existence, he smiles in front of friends and teachers, but is filled with dull longing for something more.  He witnesses his former elementary school friend, a petite girl, getting hazed by a couple bullies in the toilets, but decides not to intervene since he doesn't need the inconvenience.  Typical school day.

Until he watches the gym teacher get his head blown off at the school gates.  Suddenly the whole school is thrown into chaos as students are first blown to bits, strewn across the floor with eyeballs, limbs and guts decorating the classrooms and hallways.  A girl with curly blonde pigtails and a lolita dress is wielding some sort of magic wand that blows holes in people.  "Magical..." she says as she wrecks havoc.

Then the other students, even with their missing limbs and torsos start getting up.  They are now Magical Girl Zombies and out for blood.  Suddenly it's him and a few others (including his elementary school friend) trying to escape the school and realizing that the entire city (or whole of Japan who knows) is being attacked by swarms of deadly, undead, unkillable magical girls.  Girls with buns in their hair, magical weapons and adorable outfits are raining down through a pentacle in the sky.  That's right, a pentacle in the sky.

Where to go during a magical girl apocalypse?  The mall of course.

If you liked High School of the Dead or Battle Royale, you'd probably like this too.  If you love Sailor Moon and other cute things, this may not be your cup of tea.